Nearly one million assembled vehicles are listed and registered in France today. But like all vehicles, it must be insured. Fortunately, if the price of these beautiful vehicles can reach high levels, their premiums on the other hand are much more reasonable. We tell you everything.
First let’s remember that a classic car is an old car model that is at least 30 years old. This person is then not required to undergo a technical vehicle inspection every 2 years but every 5 years and has a specific gray card.
Why insure a classic car?
Besides the value of your property, the reason is primarily legal. Any owner of a “normal” car or collectible is obligated to insure his car. Thus, driving without car insurance is a punishable offense regardless of the type of car. Under French law, anyone attempting to drive without being insured would be liable to a fine of €3,750, the possibility of a license suspension for up to 3 years and the possibility of having your vehicle confiscated.
So you should get collector’s car insurance. You can choose to cover your car with classic auto insurance or more specific car insurance. It all depends on your criteria and budget!
What are the conditions ?
The eligibility criteria for being able to sign up for an insurance contract are strict and precise. Thus, the insured must:
- You must be over 21 years old
- Have had a driver’s license for at least 36 months
- No disputes (accident) for at least 24 months
- Own another new car for transportation
- Being a natural person: Companies cannot claim this type of insurance
The classic car insurance company may also ask to see the gray card to prove the special character of the car.
What are the preferred guarantees?
There is no correct answer. It all depends on the type of car you own. As a rule, specific insurance on old cars will provide you with:
- Circuit coverage, ideal if your classic car participates in supervised sports competitions
- Accessories and fittings cover, to compensate all your devices in case of theft or vandalism
- Breakdown assistance coverage, if a problem occurs on the road, in order to send assistance to you
- Reimbursement coverage, as per the official vehicle classification in case of a claim
Contrary to what one might think, classic car insurance is not more expensive than other insurance. On the contrary, it may be less expensive than a classic car. However, the warranties you choose to protect your vehicle may increase the bill. To find the offer best suited to your needs and profile, contact your insurance company, get an initial idea using a classic car insurance comparator, or consult a professional like Mascotte Assurances for sound advice. You will make great savings, do not hesitate!